Thursday, August 26, 2010

Superman #702

Having established my love for J. Michael Straczynski in the wake of his Amazing run - the fallout might be a better word - it follows that if anyone could drag me kicking and screaming into a Superman story, it'd be him. The whole Wonder Woman debacle hasn't really enticed me, but I'm very interested in Grounded as a Superman premise. Using the character in big, flashy cosmic scenarios never really does anything for me - he works best against the backdrop of regular people.

There's very little about him as a concept that's original or compelling, but as a device through which humanity as a whole, or even other heroes within the DCU, can be examined, he can extract a lot of very interesting material, and I respect anyone who chooses to go that route with him rather than the more traditional fare. It's unfortunate, though, that it takes someone of JMS' clout to get away with a story like Grounded - to say nothing of giving Wonder Woman pants. I may not be in the majority, but I think down-to-Earth Superman stories should be the rule, not the exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment