Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Scott Pilgrim Apprehended

As much as I'd love for Scott Pilgrim to have made a bajillion dollars this weekend, I have to say I'm neither surprised or terribly bothered that it didn't. Even as a fan of the books who's been wetting his pants with excitement for a good year now, the commercials really did feel like they were struggling to get the idea across, and I personally know a few people, even in the target demo, who never really got a handle on it - yesterday I mentioned to a 22-year old, male geek friend that I was "seeing Scott Pilgrim tomorrow", and his reply was "who's that?".

Bottom line: I went tonight, I loved it, and everybody's careers will move along just fine. It's not like they're gonna kick Edgar Wright off Ant-Man or cancel O'Malley's next book because the Box Office was disappointing. If anything, the movie might become a big cult hit on DVD. I'm sure I'll be pestering friends into seeing it for years to come.

2 comments:

  1. Lucas Lee death would be accidential though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The police don't know that - and an argument could be made for reckless endangerment, or maybe manslaughter.

    ReplyDelete