Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Big Bang Theory

Totally true story.

For a while, I was able to safely ignore The Big Bang Theory. I was aware of it, but it kept enough distance from my Venn Diagram that I didn't really have an opinion of it. After a while, I heard that Sara Gilbert had a recurring role as Johnny Galecki's love interest, and having grown up on Roseanne and the fantastic Darlene/David storyline, I had to give it a shot, at least for novelty's sake.

After suffering through the entirety of Sara Gilbert's first episode, the sullying of Darlene/David's good name was maybe in the top five things that annoyed me about it. My impression of the show is that it's essentially a geek minstrel show - the mainstream public having a laugh at what they think are the ways of a certain group of people, without really knowing anything about them, and said group largely allowing it, if not eating it up themselves.

Nevertheless, I was still able to basically ignore it for a while, though signs of its increasing success were and are prevalent. But alas, in the last couple months, my roommate has finally taken to it, and thanks to seemingly the entire fucking series being scattered throughout YouTube in 3-10 minute chunks, I've been enduring daily barrages of it from the other side of my wall. To paraphrase my favorite movie (featuring Sara Gilbert, I might add), I didn't like the show before, but I fucking hate it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment