Monday, June 21, 2010

X-Men: Second Coming

Okay, maybe I'm not about to quit it cold turkey, but this whole impending X-Men vampire thing is severely underwhelming in light of Second Coming being hands-down the most well-executed, exciting, engrossing major crossover I've read in maybe ever.

Even as someone who's been largely cool with the handling of the Avengers' whole Disassembled-Civil War-Siege story arc, I'm really starting to wish they'd do more crossovers in the format of Second Coming. The Marvel solicits for September came out the other day, and there are like forty-six different Shadowland tie-ins, some featuring - not involving, featuring - characters I'm barely even aware of. I've been reading Daredevil forever and I'm excited to see how far they're going to go, but how much tighter would it be if it bounced around between DD, ASM, and Thunderbolts for a few months instead of being one major miniseries and a crapload of tangential stuff?

Back in the 90s, they would start and finish something like Age of Apocalypse or Onslaught with a big, crazy one-shot, but the story itself had a distinct place in the arcs of the ongoing series; I don't know why they don't do that anymore. Obviously there's more money to be made in doing a major storyline entirely in several limited titles, and I can't exactly say I'm surprised that they'd go that route...so maybe what should really surprise me is the fact that Second Coming isn't being done that way. Which just makes me appreciate it all the more.

No comments:

Post a Comment