Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Heimdall Identity

Unapologetically inspired by yesterday's Penny Arcade on the same subject.

I'm basically in the same area as Gabe and Tycho on this - yeah, I guess technically the Norse Gods were all conceived as white characters, but my guiding star in these circumstances is who can best play the character. Norse or not (and this is coming from someone who actually is Norwegian), if Idris Elba and whoever that one Asian dude is do a good job in their roles, then I can't get myself too worked up about their races. I felt the same way about Michael Clark Duncan as the Kingpin, and if I'm honest, the white kids in The Last Airbender.

I'm not an Airbender fan at all, and haven't yet bothered to see the movie, so maybe I'm less qualified to have an opinion - but it's just not something that affects me. I can sympathize intellectually with the people who were pissed about Airbender because there isn't exactly an overabundance of starring roles when you're a young Asian actor in Hollywood, but I can also sympathize with genre fans who want their favorite characters portrayed as faithfully as possible - and that could apply, at least theoretically, to someone upset about Idris Elba or Michael Clark Duncan. Theoretically.

In practice, though? These guys? Totally racist.

No comments:

Post a Comment