Tuesday, May 11, 2010

New Ultimates 2

So Jeph Loeb is kind of ruining the Ultimate universe for me.

That's a bit of an overstatement, of course, in that I'll still eagerly devour any Ultimate book with "Bendis" or "Millar" on the cover, but after sticking it out through the entirety of the line, I've finally come to the point where I can't come up with a justification for buying an Ultimate title - that goes for Ultimate X, too.

I started to suspect this in Ultimates 3, I was made certain by Ultimatum, and now, I'm convinced the problem is here to say - Loeb just does not understand how this universe works. It's like the Ultimate line is a joke that he wants desperately to be in on, but he just doesn't get it, so he just gets the best artists he can find and tries to fake the writing by making all the characters vulgar, horny assholes. But unlike the vulgar, horny assholes written by Bendis and Millar, they're hollow; all the style and no substance. New Ultimates is Poochie to Ultimates' Itchy & Scratchy.

Oh, and he's obsessed with narration.

No comments:

Post a Comment