Thursday, May 27, 2010

Avengers #1

After getting more and more sucked in to all the Avengers business going on over the last several years, I made a resolution to keep buying only one post-Siege Avengers book. I'd assumed the main title would be it, but after reading the first issue, it's just...not doing much for me. I love Bendis, and I love Romita - though someone made the very fair point that they might not play to each other's strengths ideally - but this doesn't seem like a tentpost Avengers story.

I think a lot of it is just that Kang is an incredibly fucking stupid character. I was only vaguely familiar with him before now, mostly through his connection to Young Avengers, but everything about his vibe in this issue screams "antique" - his design, his attitude, his motives. "Time terrorist" is a concept that might make for a really awesome Mark Millar Ultimates reimagining, but here in 616 they're shackled to a cheesy relic of the 60s (or 70s, or whenever) that I just can't take seriously.

Secret Avengers and Thunderbolts start this week, and I'm already leaning towards one of them being my main Avangers series, but I think Bendis has earned at least another issue or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment