Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Scarlet #3

Just when I've finally reached the point where I'd rather stab myself in the eyes than buy another Avengers series, Bendis comes roaring back out of the gate with a new creator-owned series - and with Maleev, no less.

I'm not crazy about the bimonthly schedule, mostly because it appears inextricably linked with the schedule for Powers, which has a proven track record of coming out whenever it feels like it. But the story so far is compelling enough that I'm willing to deal with whatever delays come up, and keeping up with what's going on should be a lot easier than in Powers - which at this point has ten pounds of continuity in a five-pound sack.

Bendis' letters columns have always been great, but Scarlet's is already shaping up to be something special itself, thanks to the charged political nature of the story. I have friends who genuinely believe that a civilian uprising of this nature will (or at least needs to) happen someday in the United States, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Bendis elaborates upon what I see as a fundamentally wrongheaded and doomed premise.

No comments:

Post a Comment