Tuesday, September 28, 2010

New Mutants # 17

Despite my previous Second Coming-fueled flirtation with the series, I've actually had very little interest in the current New Mutants on the whole - the characters' heyday was before my time, and I'm far more of a fanboy for the Generation X cast as far as such things go. That said, I have to give it credit for repeatedly drawing me in - I read the first issue or two, then stopped caring. I read the Second Coming issues because they were the Second Coming issues, then stopped caring. And then something happened that almost never happens for me - the art drew me in.

I usually follow writers over pretty much everything else - even over characters a lot of the time. But the combination of a few absolutely gorgeous covers and interior art by Leonard Kirk was enough that I had to at least give the current storyline a shot. And what a surprise - they're in hell! I suppose an argument might be made that the "limbo" form of hell we're seeing here is different from the hell of Mephisto so recently featured in Thor - but is multiple concurrent versions of hell really any better?

In any event, the story has been pretty compelling so far despite my having little history with the characters and no knowledge whatsoever of the villains' backstory - I only realized they originated in Inferno after reading something online about it. Even this issue's Dani/Sam kiss was very enjoyable despite my having very little prior interest in the characters. I'll definitely follow the rest of this story arc at the very least - beyond that, it'll probably depend on when and if Kirk partners up with Paul Cornell again. Now that's good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment