Monday, April 19, 2010

Shield #1

Nightly News and Pax Romana are two of the best comics I've read in the last few years, and while I was very excited to see what Jonathan Hickman would do with the Marvel sandbox at his disposal, he hasn't quite thrilled me yet. Fantastic Four has had its moments, but I have an inherent lack of enthusiasm for the characters - which can hardly be blamed on him, but there it is. Secret Warriors started strong, and still isn't bad, but for some reason, I just can't get into it like I'd expected.

I'm hoping that doesn't happen with Shield, because the first issue was awesome. I was already familiar with the amazing Dustin Weaver thanks to my extensive Star Wars habit, and seeing him tackle so many ancient Earthly landscapes was a treat - though I do miss him on the SW line.

The only thing that seemed weird was the use of Imhotep as the founder of the historical Shield (as opposed to SHIELD) - not that I pretend to know much about actual Egyptian history, but unlike the Renaissance men, the pharaohs have always been portrayed in popular media as dictator assholes. His scene seemed like a one-off, but I'd love to see more light shed on that period in Shield history. Though I can't help but wonder which other historical bad guys I'll be forced to take a second look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment